Sunday 8 October 2017

10 minute blog - Our ideas don't exist in a vacuum

(The first in a series of very short, regular articles, no more than 10 minutes in conception and completion, fairly whimsical in nature and an exercise in  keeping in the habit of writing regularly and getting over short writer's blocks).

There is a school of thought that says that ideas come out of quiet and reflection. Ever since Siddhartha Gautama sat beside a tree, meditated and became Buddha, we think that we can quietly structure great ideas from base principles. Maybe if you are a philosophical genius, apart from that I don't believe a word of it.

In the last few months, as some have probably noticed, I have spent a fairly large (non-work hours if my boss is reading this 0:-) ) time on Twitter, reading and tweeting in the various testing threads and chats. I really enjoy doing it. I'm not sure I add much to the debate - I am anything but an expert or guru in testing - however if I didn't do it then I would struggle to have any ideas to write about. This blog would die a quiet death. Very few people will come up with a truly original idea - most articles are just variations on a theme - however the best ideas you will see these days are formed in and survive the cauldron of debate.

How can we risk our ideas being repudiated, shot down, publicly ridiculed, called out for BS? I don't think we can avoid it. Many of my ideas have been shot down or ignored - and that's fine because on retrospect some of them were shit anyway. However the alternative is not saying anything, and you miss all of the shots you don't take.

No comments:

Post a Comment